I’ve been on a big snack food kick lately – whole food, healthy, quick, on-the-go snacks (that are incredibly easy to make). Plus if they taste like desert that’s even better! (We’re making efforts to get rid of added sugar and focus on whole food at our house)
Plus now that marathon training has started, it’s important to have easy snacks to kick hunger and prevent hanger!
bars are filled with fiber, potassium, and iron, and the natural sugars from the figs along with added whey protein powder make them the perfect preworkout snack.
Seriously I’ve eaten one before running or weightlifting at least every day this past week. They’re the perfect little snack for running from class or work to the gym or the track to get a workout in.
They’re soft and chewy and seriously taste like a brownie BUT THERE IS NO ADDED SUGAR HOW GREAT IS THAT plus only 4 ingredients – you can’t beat it.
• 1 c dried figs
• ½ c water
• 1 c old-fashioned oats
• 1 scoop protein powder (I used chocolate, vanilla would work too)
• ¼ c all natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- Add the figs and water to a large microwave-safe bowl, and microwave on HIGH for 1 minute. Let the mixture cool before adding to a food processor. Pulse until smooth. Let the mixture cool completely to room temperature. (Refrigerators are a great thing.)
- Add the oats, protein powder, and cocoa powder to a medium bowl, and stir until thoroughly combined. Mix in the fig paste until fully incorporated.
- Line a small pan with wax paper and press the mixture into the pan. Refrigerate until they have set up (they will still be gooey and chewy!) and cut into 8 bars.
Nutrition per bar: 101 cals | 1.2 fat | 20 carbs (3.6 fiber, 9.3 sugar) | 5 protein
Next time, I’m going to try crushing some almonds and coating them or sprinkling on top. Let me know if you make them, how they turn out, and if you changed anything! ENJOY!
adapted from amyshealthybaking.com